Club History

The club's origins go back to 1884, and subsequently entered the Kent League in 1894. The club name however was not really consistent, and turned out as Faversham Town, Faversham Invicta, Faversham Services, Faversham Railway and Faversham Rangers along with others, before being disbanded a few years before the second world war.   

Faversham Town reformed after the war, and entered the Kent League in 1947, and moved to their current home, Salters Lane in 1948. The club had a decent amateur side, but found the going tough against some of the professional Kent League clubs. Nevertheless, they won the Kent Amateur Cup in 1957 and 1959.

With the Kent League folding in 1959, the club had spells in both the Aetolian and Greater London leagues. However, the revived Kent league was joined in 1968. Success soon followed, and they were Kent League champions in 1970 and 1971. The Kent Amateur Cup was won three years in a row, 1972, 1973 and 1974.

After a brief flirtation in the Athenian League in the mid seventies, the club came home to the Kent League, winning the Kent Senior Trophy in 1977, repeating this success the following season and being crowned Kent League champions for good measure in a remarkable "double".

The Kent League was won yet again in 1990 season, but league form dipped in the 92/93 season and was to stay that way for several seasons. The team did manage to reach the final of the Kent League Challenge Cup in 2000, but things were in rapid decline. Matters reached crisis point in 2003, when the KCFA suspended the club for non payment of fines, with the club's operators blaming just about everyone for the mess except themselves.

In the following months, the once proud Salters Lane was systematically wrecked by vandals. Meanwhile, the club trustees led by businessman Ray Leader, fought a desperate battle to heal a widening rift with the previous regime over the ownership of the club and ground.

In a separate development, the Faversham Town Independent Supporters Club had been formed, and quickly gained a membership of over 300 paid up members in the Town. This was despite the fact the club had no team, no manager, and whose ground had been totally wrecked by vandals and resembled a bomb site! Perhaps the real turning point came when trustees and Independent Supporters committee members got together one evening and declared an alliance to get the club back on its feet. An interim club committee was formed, and the long road to recovery was started.

The revival was slow, but things started to happen. The ownership dispute was finally settled, and access to the ground was obtained. Volunteer workers however were confronted with completely smashed and vandalised buildings, and grass that reached shoulder height in places on what had been the pitch. A massive clear up operation began, but it was back breaking work. Meanwhile, paperwork was put in order with a new club constitution written and agreed.

The KCFA allowed the club to retain their coveted senior status, subject to several conditions. Local authority grants were applied for and secured, sponsorship deals were obtained, and the club embarked on a range of fund raising initiatives. Slowly but surely, Salters Lane emerged in its former glory, and then went even better with the erection of brand new floodlights. The revival of club and ground from the jaws of death was nothing short of a miracle, with a story that would surely rival the efforts to revive both "The Valley" at Charlton, and Accrington Stanley F.C.

The first season back in 05/06 was in the Kent County League, where the runners up spot was achieved. Having passed various ground inspections, promotion to the Kent League was obtained, and Faversham Town had at last "come home".

Season 2007/08 saw the arrival of Justin Luchford taking over the management with Jimmy Strouts with Town second bottom of the league. The pair then took Town to the bottom before gradually moving up to mid table. Strouts soon left for personal reasons and Luchford, along with Clive Walker, took Town to the Kent Senior Trophy final in season 2009/10, beating Greenwich 2-1 to lift the trophy. A week later, they were crowned Kent League Premier Division champions.

Towards the end of his first season in the Ryman League, and with Town within touching distance of the play-offs, Luchford resigned. His place was taken by his assistant at the time, Ray Turner. Turner took charge of the last seven league games securing eighth spot and the position of the highest Kent team at this level.

Having consolidated their position, as a mid-table Ryman South side during the first two years of Turner's reign, Faversham embarked on one of the best seasons in the club's history during the 2012/13 season.

The Lilywhites lost just three away league games all campaign on their way to finish in third position and reach the Ryman South play-off final against all odds. However, at Maidstone United's newly-built Gallagher Stadium in front of a 2,226 strong-crowd, Town were unable to pull off one final upset. Maidstone cruising to a 3-0 victory to deny Faversham their first taste of Ryman Premier League football.

Town spent the majority of the 2013/14 campaign just outside the play-offs, and ultimately, had to settle for tenth position in their fourth season in the Ryman South.

Faversham had a productive 2014/15 season, scoring 111 league goals (more than any other Ryman League side that campaign) and amassing a record 97 points to finish in third place in the Ryman South for the second time in three seasons. But Town suffered more Play-off heartache, as they lost 5-4 on penalties at home to Merstham in their Ryman South Play-off Semi-Final following a goalless draw.

Faversham came fifth at the end of the 2015-16 season, again reaching the play-offs, but after beating Dorking Wanderers 2-1 in the semi-final they lost 3-0 to Worthing in the final.

Faversham Town 1973/74 Kent amateur cup winning team.